Mrs. Siese’s dream of a new kiln comes true

All students that have a class with Mrs. Seise know we have received a new kiln. The old kiln was old, out of date, and inefficient. Now students don’t have to wait for winter to start making their own pottery.
This fancy new kiln was needed. It shortens the cycle of making and receiving pottery. Now a student can put the piece of pottery that needs to be fired in the kiln on a B day and get it back the next B day. “I wanted to make the cycle of making pottery faster,” said Mrs. Diane Siese, art teacher. .
In the past students had to wait a number of days for their piece to dry out before it could be fired. If you didn’t wait long enough, with the old kiln, you ran a chance of the piece exploding and ruining other people’s pottery. In addition, the old kiln had all of its parts replaced once, but now the company that produced the kiln has gone out of business.
The new kiln has many new settings that the old one did not, like fast, medium and slow and seeing how much it would cost to fire the kiln on a certain setting. The kiln was purchased with a grant from Woodbine Bend “Pay it Forward”. The total cost was around $2,500 and a new air duct was installed at a cost of $459. “The idea is to make the art room more of a studio and be able to produce more ceramics faster,” Siese said.

Mrs. Seise has been requesting a new kiln in her budget for years, and she finally has one. Now she has a license to kiln.