Aiming for experts

Bass Fishing team attends casting competition at Batavia High School

What could a bass fishing team possibly be doing in the winter? The waters are frozen, and bass only like warm water. The anglers are preparing for the spring, of course! The ice will be melting soon, and the anglers could not be more antsy.
Not only are morning practices held in the gym during the winter months, but the team also attends competitions. Most recently, they went to Batavia High School on February 20 to compete in their annual contest.
“Competing in Batavia High School’s Pitching, Flipping and Casting competition definitely benefited our students. It was great for us all to see that what we do at practice is important and comparable to what other top schools are doing in the winter months to prepare for on the water competitions in the Spring,” Coach Lisa Watson said.
In Batavia’s cafeteria, ten stations were set up with a target. Fifty points were possible on each bullseye, with each ring decreasing by ten points the closer to the edge the jig (hook) landed. Each target consisted of different obstacles to simulate fishing on the river with unexpected barriers.
“You’re trying to shoot for a certain place in the water, whether it was a stump or a log,” Coach Marty Petitgout said. “It gave the kids depth of perception; they got a target varied from ten feet away from them to maybe thirty feet away, so it was precision casting.”
“While none of our students scored in the top five of the whole competition, they did really well!” Coach Lisa Watson said. James O’Shea, Hunter Wasmund, and Tyler Moran had the highest scores on our team, placing first, second, and third, respectively.
Coming soon on May 6, eight of the twelve GHS anglers will compete at sectionals. “Our sectional tournament is at Spring Lake which is on the back water of the Mississippi River. It is located just south of Savannah, near Thomson,” Coach Lisa Watson said.
Only eight anglers can fish because of boat logistics, so the coaches have set up a point system to make the selection fair. Best of luck to the whole team!