Skit night shows that GHS students have the moves

During the week leading up to the homecoming game, Galena High School Student Council provides students with many opportunities to get involved and show their school spirit.

One of the most anticipated events of the week is Skit Night. Held on Wednesday, September 19, skit night is a pep rally where fall teams are introduced and each class performs a dance as part of the Homecoming Week competition. “I was looking forward to Skit Night,” said Henry Anderson ‘20. “I think our class has the most school spirit and I wanted to prove that to everyone.” Anderson was correct, his participation in the junior class dance was one of the reasons they took home the first place trophy.

During Homecoming week students participate in a variety of activities that earn points for their class. “Getting our community and school ready and excited for homecoming, is the best part of skit night,” said Mackenzie Muehleip ‘20. “It’s also a fun kick off to the games and excitement for the rest of the week.”

Other scores from Skit night, were 2nd place – Sophomores. The sophomore class focused their dance around “Viva Las Vegas.” They also performed a large part of their dance in  the dark. “Las Vegas has a lot of bright lights,” said Corrina Noble ‘21. “Our theme was ‘Friday Night Lights’ and we wanted to use the lights of Las Vegas to make that theme come alive.”

The seniors took 3rd place with their Hollywood inspired dance. Kyle Long ‘19 fought Lochlan Nowatzki in a Jedi battle and was able to show off his Pirate Pride. “Skit Night is a great tradition in our community,” said Long. “It’s become even more exciting with the recent changes by sponsors Sarah Rosenthal and Randi Burken. It meant a lot to me to be such a big part of my last skit night as a GHS student.”

The freshman class used the sounds of New Orleans as the soundtrack to their dance, and showed their unique personalities.

The Homecoming football game versus The West Carroll Thunder will be held on Friday, September 21. Kickoff of the varsity game is at 6:00 p.m.