The Ballot is stronger than the bullet

Senior+Morgan+Wills+acts+as+a+judge+as+she+prepares+the+ballots.+

Senior Morgan Wills acts as a judge as she prepares the ballots.

On Thursday, October 11th, Galena High School juniors and seniors participated in a mock election for the 2018 midterms. This event was sponsored by the League of Illinois Voters.

Most students did not know that this mock election was happening, and felt unprepared to vote with integrity. Senior Morgan Wills said, “I only know Nick Hyde because he’s Stephanie Hyde’s brother.”

Anthony Portilla ‘19 said, “I didn’t even know we were voting, this is where I screw up my future.”

“You don’t want someone to be governor (or even state representative) if you don’t agree with what they stand for,” Eric Hernandez ‘19 said. “I think it’s very important to know who’s on the ballot and what their beliefs are.”

During the election, cards were handed out by Kyle D. Long ‘19 which had more information about the candidates. Long stated, “On this website [https://illinoisvoterguide.org/] you can get nonpartisan information about the candidates in this year’s election.” The League of Illinois Voters is encouraging students to educate themselves about the candidates who are up for election in November.

Students who turn 18 before November 6th, can register to vote online or go into the courthouse to register.

This is the generation of change; voting is very important when it comes to local elections.

The winners of the GHS Mock Election were:

JB Pritzker for governor, Kwame Raoul for Attorney General, Jesse White for Secretary of State, Susana A. Mendoza for Comptroller, Michael W. Frerichs for State Treasurer, Cheri Bustos for, David Simpson for State Senate, Nick Hyde for State Representative, Angie Kaiser for Clerk and Recorder. Melisa Hammer for Jo Daviess Treasurer, Kevin W. Turner for Sheriff and Aaron Mercier for regional superintendent. Retain Mclaren (Yes), Retain Bald (Yes), and Retain Hanson (Yes).