Petey Sparks Controversy

Late last year when the School Safety Squad held the first School Safety Day, controversy sparked up about how the beloved Galena High School mascot, Petey the Pirate, is seen in logos holding a gun and a sword in his hand.

Some parents even gathered up and attended the school board meeting to remove those items from his hands. Another parent wouldn’t let her children buy Pirate clothes, they were only allowed the name of the school on the shirt.

Petey should stay because we’ve had him for so long, he stands out, and he entertains everyone at football games and parades.

Students heard about this controversy and two seniors weigh in with their opinions. Senior Evan Soat said “I don’t think it encourages anything.” He does not see the problem with Petey holding a gun and sword. Jessica Baltierra has a somewhat different opinion though, “It could go both ways, I understand both sides, it’s a cartoon and it’s not really influential and it’s not going to inspire anyone but at the same time I thought it was kind of stupid, we had a safety day and our mascot has a gun on the floor but changing the mascot is like the apple gun emoji when they changed it to a water gun, it’s not going to change people’s thoughts.”

Petey has been with the school since before 1957. Galena is known for being Pirates. Galena Pirates may not be the greatest at Football, but at least they’re great at golf. The whole point of a mascot is to express the school. All of the student body are Pirates. If the school decided to get rid of the name, Galena would end up with a basic mascot, such as Warriors or Cats. When the Galena team goes up against their rivals, they always chant “Pirates.” Getting rid of what the student body is so attached to would be crummy.

Petey always stands out. Not a single school around the Galena area has the mascot of a pirate. There’s multiple schools around the area that has the same mascot.

When Petey goes around the schools for Homecoming week, all of the primary schoolers love him. Petey always has to be included when we are in a parade.

Pirates may have been one of the worst groups of people in history. With their past of violence, rape, stealing, and torture. The parents made a valid point when they didn’t want to keep Petey. Moreover, pirates aren’t ideal for the school district when you remember their past. Everyone has seen the movies Pirates of the Caribbean, so everyone who hated Captain Jack Sparrow are the parents and the friends who approved of him are some of the student body.

In this situation, some parents might be in the wrong. Disapproving of pirates but approving of Warriors or Red Skins. No one is worshipping Native Americans, a mascot of a Native American is more offensive than ever. We are ignoring certain pasts and turning a blind eye to the one that is more offensive.

All in all, Petey has history with the school. The school board has decided to keep the mascot along with his gun and sword. Petey the Pirate is not hurting anyone; he’s causing no damage. In fact, he’s encouraging the student body to become more engaging in the games, and now he is giving advice to those in need. Petey the Pirate has had a history, he stands out, and he cheers everyone up. Petey the Pirate is here to stay.