Tis’ the season to be giving

Wood you like to give back? GHS has many chances for students to contribute before the semester ends. Pictured above is the NHS Giving Tree. There is also Elk dinner tickets available and raffle tickets for an Apple Watch on sale, which is all for a good cause. Abbey Ehrler ‘21 said, “Giving back makes me feel so happy!

With the end of this semester around the corner, that means that it’s the holiday season. Students are probably making lists of what they are wishing for this year, but isn’t it the season of giving too? This year, GHS has many opportunities for students to give back to others.

The annual Giving Tree, sponsored by the National Honor Society, is going on until Wednesday, December 19. The Giving Tree helps out local families in the community. Participates grab a tag from the tree with an item described on it that is needed by the family. Then, the wrapped gift is placed under the tree with the tag attached to it.

FFA teamed up with NHS for the Giving Tree too. All the money raised for their upcoming Elks dinner is going to be used to purchase presents for families on the Giving Tree. The dinner will be on Monday, December 17.

Teacher Mary Calfee said, “I absolutely love that the NHS hosts the Giving Tree because it is a great way to help families in need who live in our community. I think it’s even more meaningful when we know that we are making a positive impact in our town.”

Along with the Giving Tree, students have the chance to win an Apple Watch. This fundraiser, sponsored by the GHS Servant Leadership group,is an opportunity to partake in giving back while possibly winning a present for yourself or someone else. “It’s a great way to contribute while potentially getting something in return,” said Shea Curran ‘19.

A raffle ticket costs three dollars, and they are only sold to high school students and faculty members. The winner will be announced on Friday, December 21. The proceeds help out the individuals served by The Workshop. This organization helps those with disabilities in Jo Daviess County. Sami Wasmund ‘20 said, “By raising money for The Workshop it helps us remember what’s important in life.”

Don’t miss out on these few occasions to give back and help others out before the semester ends. Happy holidays and good luck to everyone on finals!