Filed under News, Showcase

Stepping up: Rotary Students of the Quarter honored in Jan.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abby Soppe and Abbey Ehrler are ecstatic  as they receive their Rotary Student of The Quarter award from Joel Holland.

Abby Soppe and Abbey Ehrler are ecstatic as they receive their Rotary Student of The Quarter award from Joel Holland. "I am glad that my hard work has not gone unnoticed," said Soppe. The award assembly was on Jan. 11 and was held at the DeSoto House where the recipients were offered a complimentary luncheon.

Each academic quarter the teachers of Galena High School are tasked with nominating one outstanding student that has been making obvious efforts to improve themselves and others in the classroom or striving to be more mature and becoming more influential, active individuals in the community.

The Rotary student selected of the first quarter, sophomore Abbey Ehrler was recognized at the Rotary Meeting on January 11. The meeting was held at the DeSoto House in downtown Galena.

Ehrler was nominated by her teachers for impressing them in her improvement in the classroom. Mrs. Bookless said, “Abbey is polite to her teachers and classmates, she always has a positive attitude and a smile on her face.” Abbey was also praised for her efforts to come in prior to being absent and gather what she had missed.

Abbey was also involved heavily in Student Council, and is the Class of ‘21 class president. She organized many activities students participated in and made sure that students were involved in the festivities during the week of homecoming.

The Rotary Student selected for the second quarter was sophomore Abby Soppe. She was also awarded with recognition at the Rotary meeting on January 11.

She was praised by teachers for being acceptable in the classroom and also being willing to “get it done.” Soppe was also noted as being extremely friendly and works very well with others. “Her grades are solid because she studies and works hard” said Mrs. Deppe, the school counselor, has also observed that Abby is not afraid to be herself and go against the grain while being respectful.

Soppe was rewarded for her impressive work with a luncheon at the DeSoto house. She plans on attending a four year university after high school, preferably in Wisconsin. Abby plans to become a trainer or physical therapist. Outside of high school, Soppe loves to hang out with her friends and occasionally play sports.

Both Abbey Ehrler and Abby Soppe have been outstanding role models this school year so far. Every student is encouraged to be the next student of the quarter. Congratulations ladies on your hard work and dedication to our school. Keep up the good work.