Galena FFA travels to world dairy expo in Madison

FFA members place 40/62 as a team in the World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wisconsin. Cooper Einsweiler lead the team and students Aly Anderson, Landon Casper, and Sami Deininger competed in the Dairy Cattle judging competition. (Picture back L to R: Tyler Temperly, Cooper Einsweiler, Olivia Richardson, Cody Monahan, Gwen Hesselbacher, Kiera Lyden, Luke Dugan, Ryan Stoffregen, Landon Casper, Carson Miller, Taylor Jones, Samantha Deininger, Aly Anderson, Mafe Lopez, Mikayla Knautz, Paige Monahan, and Blain Timmerman)

On Tuesday the 28th, a group of Animal Science students and FFA members traveled to the World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wisconsin. Luke Duggan, Cooper Einsweiler, and Tyler Temperly, competed in the Dairy Products career development event. They had to sample cheeses, milks, and other dairy products to identify them and/or determine if there are flaws. Tyler said, “We had to find problems with some milks and it was interesting. When cows get into garlic you can really taste it. It was super cool”. They placed 40/62 as a team with Einsweiler leading the team score. Aly Anderson, Landon Casper, and Sami Deininger competed in the Dairy Cattle Judging competition. They had to evaluate dairy heifers and cows based on their structure and udder. They placed 46/8 as a team with Anderson Leading the team. Freshman, Landon Casper said he “learned a lot.” The rest of the day consisted of trying the famous grilled cheese from the Badger Dairy Club while exploring the expo, networking with agricultural professionals and watching cows from all over competing in the show ring. Sophomore, Blaine Timmerman said while networking, he thought it was fun “Collecting all the company bags, I found it fun and saw lots of companies that way.” It was a great day and a super fun experience for all.