Spring Spectacular is just that

Spring is in full swing as NHS has already hosted the Spring Spectacular in the GHS gym on February 25. Students gathered to show off their dodge ball, beanbag and badminton skills.

Every grade was invited to participate, with competitors representative of every class. “I didn’t have very high expectations for the turnout because it didn’t seem like a lot of people signed up,” Alex Townsend, NHS president, said. “It ended up being a great turnout.”
Badminton was the first event, with high expectations for Cameron Spillane and Landon Kent, the reigning badminton champions from the Fall Frolic.
They were off to a strong start before losing to Alex Townsend and Hannah Ettlemen in the third round. “It was disappointing,” said Kent. “My partner and I were looking to pull off back to back wins, but I guess we’ll just have to train harder.”
Alex and Hannah went on to beat Kane Hyde and Hunter Holland in the final r

ound. “I felt like my partner really carried the team, and I’d like to thank her for that,” said Townsend.
The bean bag tournament took place as the badminton went down. Reigning champions, Natalie and Kristen Calvert, did not participate this time, making the outcome less predictable.
Partners Alex Townsend and Dalton Bauer seemed to power through their competition, but fell short in the championship round to Hunter Holland and Kane Hyde.
Townsend was unable to compete in this final game due to his dodgeball and badminton games, so Cameron Spillane subbed for him. Unfortunately, Spillane and Bauer couldn’t pull through with the win.
As the dodgeball finals began, the highly anticipated senior male team of Matt Teply, Gage Soat, Alex Townsend, Riley Soat and Caleb Flack were expected to win for the second consecutive time.
However, the surprising freshman group of Even Kruse, Cody Allendorf, Jack Einsweiler, Kade Timmermann and Conner Einsweiler pulled through several upsets to make it to the finals.
The finals were a best of three with the freshmen clinching game one, the seniors dominating game two and forcing a sudden death match.
It was back and forth all game until it came down to (Jack) Einsweiler and (Gage) Soat. In a turn of events, Einsweiler threw a ball which Soat attempted to catch, but failed, getting him out and grabbing the win for the Freshmen boys.
“We did pretty good,” said Riley, “I think we just got a little tired at the end. We’re out of shape.”
The freshmen were more than ecstatic about the upset. “Our performance was great,” said Jack Einsweiler. “We annihilated the seniors and pulled a huge upset! The seniors are always supposed to win.”
The freshmen agree that they are going to do what it takes to stay undefeated for the rest of their dodgeball careers.
As a result of the tournament, NHS raised $160 that was earmarked for NHS future projects. NHS plans on hosting the Fall Frolic and Spring Spectacular again next school year and they hope for an even bigger turnout.

Junior Christian Gronewold jumps to save the shuttlecock as his partner Nick Lopez watches.