The life of a janitor

An integral part of the school district is overlooked.

Mr. Marty Petitgout cleans the high school before the homecoming football game.

The role of a janitor is more than just mops and cleaning spray. From setting up and tearing down concerts and games to rewiring and knocking down walls so that a room could expand, the life of a janitor is more than meets the eye. Janitors are the reason we are able to have safe learning environments. They are the unrecognized heroes behind the scenes.

Specifically, one janitor by the name of Mr. Marty Petitgout takes this role to heart. As he is adjusting to his fourteenth year at Galena High School, he reflects on the importance of his job as janitor. Throughout his time at GHS, he has mainly worked 40 hours a week during the second shift.

Although second shift is his least favorite part of the job, it is the most important. He prepares the field and picks up the trash on the field and courts after events.

While working second shift, Petitgout endures the most body-taxing work. When he arrives at school at 2 p.m., “I clean the classrooms and scrub them if needed, and help out the teachers. Then I set up and clean up for all events,” he said. Some nights he has to go back and forth from events such as from a middle school football game to a high school volleyball game.

“I’m trying to live in the moment, which makes me keep thinking there is still more time,” he said. “My head is telling me that I’m thirty something, but my body says ‘guess again’.”

The most essential part of his job is “being able to do anything that requires common sense to keep something in working order,” he said. Not everyone is a handyman, so Petitgout is there to help you out when in need.

As easy as common sense tasks are for him, Petitgout has challenges throughout the day. He tries his best to make everyone happy through helping them.

“Trying to keep people happy [is the most challenging part of my job]. Something may need more attention that is more than the janitor is capable of due to the great hassle- summer maintenance, water leaks, roof repairs, and teachers and administration,” said Petitgout.

Most importantly, Petitgout values his knowledge obtained from his job as janitor. “The knowledge that I have in different lanes of work in electrical, mechanical, wood, and cement [is valuable]. If something needs fixin’, I’ll fix it. I am able to find out how to do any job,” he said.

Through his determination he helps the school immensely, but the school also helps him. He said, “Surprisingly, being around the students and faculty [is my favorite part of my job. They make coming to work everyday [worthwhile].”

Furthermore, if there is one take away from the job, it would be the students. Petitgout explained that because he and his wife have no children, some students he has encountered would be his children if he had some.

Taking on the position of bass fishing coach in addition to his janitorial position, Petitgout is able to make the most of his time at GHS and make his jobs more meaningful. He became a coach because he has always loved fishing and wanted to pass his knowledge of fishing to the students, while developing relationships.

“…[The coaching] helps me to interact with more students than I normally would, get to know them on their level, and I’m always willing to take the challenge,” he said.