Hoping for a Good Season

With only one starter and a couple of returning players, the Galena Girls JV basketball team will surely see some new faces. The addition of six strong freshmen, causes Coach Bauer to have  high hopes for the season. “The freshmen bring competition and speed to the court this year and I think it will be successful,” said Bauer. Coach Bauer said that the goals for the season are to have fun and compete for the Conference Championship.

Sophomore Abby Moyer said, “I think we might have a rough start at first. The freshmen are good, but they aren’t used to the higher level of basketball.”

Going from middle school basketball to high school basketball is a big jump. High school basketball is faster and has more experienced players. Not only that, the freshmen players will now play most of their games in bigger and louder gyms as they now will play the lead-in game to their varsity. “They (the freshmen) are great players, so they’ll catch up fast. The freshmen have always been a strong basketball team,” said Moyer.

Freshman Gracie Wubben said, “I think our biggest challenge this year is our team’s height. We have a lot of short, quick guards, but not a lot of height.”

Moyer and Bauer agree to that statement, and Moyer added, “Although we don’t have a lot of height, I think our speed will make up for it.” Having height in basketball is a huge advantage, but having speed is equally as important.

“I think the freshmen’s biggest challenge is adjusting to playing with new people. I’m so used to playing with the same six people, so it’ll be exciting, but different to play with new people,” said Wubben. Moyer said that  she thinks her biggest challenge as a sophomore is to step up and be a leader. “I am nervous to have more responsibility this year, but I’m going to try hard to be a great leader for this team.”

Bauer thinks one main challenge the team needs to overcome is integrating the new players and making them feel like they are a part of the team. Coming together as a team is huge in any sport you play.