Filed under Features, Showcase

2018 Powderpuff: Juniors Upset Seniors in Championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming is more than just a Friday night lights game for the boys, it’s also the one opportunity for the girls at GHS have to play some football of their own. Throughout homecoming week, the student council sponsors multiple events for student body to participate in, and the annual powder puff football games are a great way to get everyone involved. Each class creates their own team of girl players, accompanied by a few coaches to gear up and play an intense game of flag football. “I really like how each class gets so excited about their powder puff team,” says Mackenzie Muehleip 20’, “I also enjoy getting a chance to play a sport that I typically don’t get the opportunity to participate in.”

This year, the games got even more intense than in years past. The title of homecoming champion was on the line. The competition was extremely elevated between the junior and senior classes. In the end, the juniors came out on the top, with the seniors following behind in second, the sophomores in third, and the freshman in last place. Senior Sawyer Quick played on her class powder puff team. “It was so fun to be so close and competitive with my classmates. I felt like it was a great way to bond with my senior players,” she said.

Not only was the competition hot between the players, the team coaches were involved as well. Kyle Long was one of the four coaches for the senior class. team “I had a lot of fun coaching powder puff again this year and competing alongside my senior girls. I think it’s a great new tradition and I hope GHS will continue with it,” Long explained. During the championship game between the juniors and seniors, everyone was getting heated. Damian Stephanopoulos ‘20, one of the coaches for the victorious junior team, explained “Girls need to watch more football! They have no idea what’s going on out there,” he added, “I thought the competition was tough but our team worked hard to win.”

Even though the freshman placed low, the class as a whole had a fun time participating in powder puff for the first time this year. Freshman player Olivia Hefel said, “It was a fun experience to have competition with the other classes and to have the boys as our coaches. I’m really excited to play again next year!” The sophomore and freshman teams played for 3rd and 4th place. Abby Soppe played on the 3rd place sophomore team and she really enjoyed being involved in powder puff again this year. “Powder puff football is a really fun game,” Abby said, “It doesn’t matter who wins in the end, all that matter is that you had fun.”