The Nerd come to GHS

Auditions for the GHS fall play, The Nerd, were held on August 5 and 6. The play is directed by Ron Jenkins.

Before auditions were held, Jenkins ran an audition workshop to help prepare students for the audition process. Students cast in the play are, seniors: Evan Soat, Jessica Baltierra, Kyle D. Long, and Jack Dregne; juniors: Sophia Getz, and Henry Anderson and middle school student, Everett Noble.

Daniel Heid, a sophomore at Galena High School, auditioned for the show but was not cast. “On a scale from one to ten, I think my audition was a seven,” he said. “Mr. Jenkins said I am improving, but I have some things to work on.” Although he did not get a part in the cast, he, like many other auditioners, got a part in the production of the play.

The Nerd tells the story of Willum Cubbert, an architect who claims that he has a debt to owe for a soldier that saved him in Vietnam.

Jenkins directed this play in 1995. It was the first play he ever directed at Galena High School. He also previously performed this in the Mainstreet Player’s Production with his wife, Mrs. Jenkins. “I think this is one of the funniest plays I’ve ever seen– and I’ve seen a lot,” said Jenkins. “I’m really excited about the cast we have with us. They are very talented. If you were to go to only one play in your life, it should be The Nerd. It’s better than Hamilton.”

The Nerd opens on November 15-17 at historic Turner Hall in Galena. Tickets are $8 for adults, and $5 for students, and are available at the door.