Filed under Opinion

So Senior

Back to Article
Back to Article

So Senior

Top Dogs: The senior class works together and dominates in tug of war.

Top Dogs: The senior class works together and dominates in tug of war. "It's been forever since we have actually won something as a class" said Addison Soat '19. The seniors put their heads and muscles together to take the win for this challenge.

Most people envision senior year to be a breeze. No homework, easy classes, and the oldest ones in the school. In reality, senior year is filled with lots of work and stressful days. As a senior, your weekends consist of homework, applications, scholarships and even more applications. Applications are no fun and anyone who is a senior or already graduated can verify that. Senior year keeps students busy with college preparation and planning their futures.

Asking high school students to choose a major, or a potential career at age 18 is crazy. Not many people know what they want to be doing in 30 years. There are so many options for colleges for students to consider. Do you prefer a big school or small school? Do you want to stay close or move away? Do you want a public or private school? “I plan to attend Coe College and major in nursing” said Morgan Wills ‘19. These are all decisions students have to make their senior year, along with everything else going on in their busy lives.

Although scholarships are a pain to fill out, they will be worth it in the end. College is expensive, but scholarships can add up quickly. Every little dollar can make one’s college education a bit cheaper. “I’ve been filling out scholarships since August, but I know I will be glad when my college expense is cheaper” said Hanna Skiston ‘19. I guess filling out scholarships at midnight during the week will be worth it when your paying off your college debt.

Senior year sure does go quickly. It’s crazy to think that in a year, college life will be real. I’m sure the seniors are counting down days until graduation, but it is also a countdown to the day when the senior class won’t see their childhood classmates everyday. “Not seeing my 8 best friends everyday at school will be hard to me to get used to,” said Shea Curran ‘19. “I can’t imagine all of us going in different directions for our future plans and not being together all the time. Enjoy high school while it lasts because time sure does fly by.”