Filed under Features

Growing speech team excited for future

We+do+for+fun+what+most+people+fear+more+than+death.+The+members+of+the+2018-2019+speech+team+pose+for+their+team+shot.+From+left%2C+Coach+Susan+Bookless%2C+Sophia+Getz+%E2%80%9820%2C+Emilly+Folks+%E2%80%9819%2C+Robert+Schuh+%E2%80%9819+and+Judas+Benson+%E2%80%9821.+%E2%80%9CThis+has+been+a+really+great+experience%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Schuh.+%E2%80%9CI+feel+like+I%E2%80%99ve+really+grown+as+a+performer+this+year.%E2%80%9D+The+team+is+getting+ready+for+the+state+series+competition+in+February.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Growing speech team excited for future

We do for fun what most people fear more than death. The members of the 2018-2019 speech team pose for their team shot. From left, Coach Susan Bookless, Sophia Getz ‘20, Emilly Folks ‘19, Robert Schuh ‘19 and Judas Benson ‘21. “This has been a really great experience,” said Schuh. “I feel like I’ve really grown as a performer this year.” The team is getting ready for the state series competition in February.

JUDE BENSON
Staff Writer

Speech team coach Susan Bookless has moved all around Northern Illinois, being a leader and mentor for high school public speaking teams in Illinois and Iowa. “I really like when students work hard and accomplish something as a team and as individuals that they didn’t know that they could.” Bookless said.

Moving from high density speech team schools like Riverdale High School and Dubuque Senior High School to smaller Galena High School, she has had to make a few hard realizations.

This year’s Galena High School Speech Team has an endearing three members. The team spots are held by senior Robert Schuh, junior Sophia Getz, and sophomore Judas Benson.

Small numbers puts the team at a disadvantage when competing for team sweepstakes points. But nothing stops these team players in individual competition. Each member competes one or two categories, from novice to varsity divisions.

Sophia Getz ‘20 competes in both the prose and poetry events. In prose, Getz performs excerpts from “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien.

In poetry, she performs excerpts from “The Watch That Ends The Night” by Allan Wolf. Her poetry tells the story of the sinking of the Titanic from the perspective of the iceberg.

Fellow upperclassman Robert Schuh ‘19 is a part of two categories as well. He competes in impromptu speaking, where he is given a topic two minutes before he has to give a six minute speech.

He also performs in oratory speaking, in which he gives a persuasive speech on why Americans should not give up their First Amendment right to Net Neutrality.

The underclassman and last member of this ‘Tiny but Mighty’ team is sophomore Judas Benson. He competes in only one event, dramatic interpretation, for which he acted out a monologue from American classic “Death of a Salesman” by Arthur Miller.

This team has won many small victories in the last few months. “Getting the opportunity to work one on one with the members is the advantage of having a smaller team here at GHS,” Bookless said.

Happy about the individual help she can give each of the members during every practice, there is no doubt in Bookless’ mind that this team will continue being a success.

The team will travel to Freeport High School on Feb. 2 for the IHSA Regional Competition.