The Spyglass

The student news site of Galena High School.

The Spyglass

The Spyglass

Music, Community, and Hot Chocolate

Tri-M’s Success At Winter Coffeehouse

On the chilly Monday night of February 5th, when the Tri-M Music Honor Society hosted their very first fundraiser, a winter coffeehouse at Blaum Bros. Distillery. Many people may not be familiar with Tri-M, which is a music honor society whose name stands for “Modern Music Masters”. Galena High School started its first ever chapter last year. Tri-M is the only music honor society for middle school and high school students nationwide. The organization’s main goal is to support music and music education in schools and communities, while providing opportunities for young musicians to flourish.

At the winter coffeehouse, several students performed, showcasing their talents for everything from classical arias to acoustic covers. Students who performed are Liliana Asta ‘26, Emma Blaum ‘24, Zoe Blaum ‘27, Izzy Farrey ‘24, and Beckett Simpson ‘25. 

“I really enjoyed it!” said Simpson. “I think that having opportunities for students to show off their creativity is super important and it’s great for the community.“

Not only was the coffeehouse a wonderful opportunity for music students to showcase their abilities in a way they might not usually have, it was also a great event for the community members to come enjoy music and socialize. Attendees donated a total of over $300, which will go towards Tri-M’s expenses and important purchases, and was very helpful in getting the club off the ground.

“The first ever Tri-M Coffee House was a huge success,” said Tri-M Advisor Lilly Streich. “We had over 50 students, faculty, and families come to support our students. We received great feedback from everyone and hope to do a couple of these every year moving forward.” 

Current Tri-M members are President Emma Blaum, Vice President Mafe Lopez ‘24, Treasurer Will Berning ‘24, Secretary Liliana Asta, Historian Ella Getz ‘24, and Helena Townsend-Grove ‘25. New inductees in 2024 include Zoe Blaum, Claudia Liberg ‘25, Evon Main ‘27, Luna Pham ‘27, Layla Schemehorn ‘27, and Addison Zambrano ‘25.