Getting to know Ms. Friederick

Coming to a new school and a new career has provided Ms. Friederick with welcome new challenges. She has lived in Galena for 14 years now, but used to live in Madison where she went to college. She went to the University of Wisconsin Madison and received a Master’s degree in Elementary Education, and an undergraduate degree in Family and Consumer Education.

“I love Galena. It’s a small town with historic background, and all my friends are here!”

Not only does Ms. Friederick love to live in Galena, she loves her new job. Ms. Friederick used to teach for the pre-school at the Galena ARC.

“Galena High School is fantastic! 🙂 I love being here, kids are great and the staff is helpful.”

Teaching from the pre-school to high schoolers was a big change for Ms. Friederick. Ms. Friederick taught the pre-school in a non-traditional school setting, so coming to Galena High School was a little different than her previous experience.

“This is my first job in a school setting, and I am still adjusting to the changes from my old schedule.”

Along with teaching food education classes along with sewing, Ms. Friederick teaches Consumer Education. The food and sewing classes that she teaches are based on labs and hands on work in comparison to Consumer Education. In Consumer Education, Ms. Friederick tries to make the new material that they are being taught feel more like real life by having speakers come in to help them get a better understanding the “real” world.

“My favorite class to teach is the food labs because they are so fun and the students are so enthusiastic and interested in cooking, but I do enjoy teaching all of my classes for different aspects.”

Not only does Ms. Friederick teach her students the skills she knows, but she also teaches her two children, Olivia and Ella, the same skills at home.

“Both of my children know how to sew, cook, and do their laundry, just like all of my students.”

Ms. Friederick is looking forward to the rest of the year and has been enjoying everything that she has been teaching at Galena High School.