Homecoming brings classes closer together

Homecoming week is one of the biggest events out of the whole school year. Between class games, skits, hallways, football/volleyball games and more, there is something that everyone finds memorable in that week.This year, homecoming was the week of September 17th

To kick off the exciting week was hallway decorating on Monday, September 22nd. All of the classes spent a lot of time and hard work on their hallways.

“It was a great way to start the week and it was cool to see all of the classes come together,” said Riley Wills ‘21.

Taking first place was the juniors with their entirely handmade New York themed hallway, and close behind was the seniors, who went all out with their Los Angeles themed hall. Next was the sophomores’ hallway, resembling the famous Las Vegas Strip, and last but not least was the freshman class, who decorated their hallway with the festive colors of New Orleans.

Along with the hectic week, class games added excitement throughout the week. To add to the chaos, some games were moved to the gym due to weather conditions.

According to Mackenzie Muehleip ’20, “Having the games inside was a little crazy, but I think it made everything and everyone more energized.”

The following day, games were back outside where the juniors and seniors were battling head and head. Each class was trying to rack up points that would help them take the first place title.

The night before class games began, the pep assembley, still known to most students as Skit Night, was held. The sports teams were announced, and the dance competition kicked off.

Taking first place was the juniors with their New York medley dance. Closely behind, the sophomores took second place with their glow in the dark dance to “Viva Las Vegas.”

“Las Vegas has a lot of bright lights,” said Corrina Noble ‘21. “Our theme was ‘Friday Night Lights’ and we wanted to use the lights of Las Vegas to make that theme come alive.”

The seniors got third place for their dance inspired by Hollywood movies, and in last place, the freshmen danced to the songs of New Orleans.

An added component for the competition was the addition of hidden G’s all around the high school. At the beginning of the day, class sponsors were given G’s, and students could search for them to earn additional points for their class.  With such a close competition, this addition might have meant the difference between victory and second place.

The following night, the volleyball team won their game against River Ridge.

“It was really cool to have a game this week because usually homecoming is all about football,” said Mackenzie Muehleip ‘20, “but it made our week extra busy, with an event almost every night.”

With the class games, powderpuff football is a great way for people to get involved. Specifically, the girls who don’t get to participate in football on a regular basis.

“It’s really cool to be a part of something where we can all come together and have fun,” said Kate Moran ‘21.

The first day of powderpuff football was very exciting. The whole school came outside, enjoying the nice weather, to cheer on their grade.

In the first round of games, the juniors played a tough game against the freshman, but defeated them in the end. The sophomores then played the seniors and took a tough loss.

The second day, the classes played for places. Sophomores were victorious against the freshmen, earning third place. The juniors and seniors then played, and the juniors won, taking first place.

After all of the hard work on their floats, the classes got to show them off in the parade. The freshman had everyone in shock as they showcased their colorful float inspired by Mardi Gras.

Impressed, Kristin Hall ‘21, said, “Their float was amazing, and their efforts definitely exceeded anything else they had done throughout homecoming week.”

Next in line were the sophomores showing off their “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign and tissue paper dice.

Following the sophomores came the juniors with their New York float featuring their own Alexa Haase as the Statue of Liberty standing over a tissue-paper cityscape.

“I loved being a big part of the float for my class,” said Alexa Haase ‘20. “It was so cool when we won first place and we were all so excited.”

Inspired by Hollywood and the Red Carpet, the seniors brought their simple, but stunning float through the parade, following the juniors.

The homecoming court also came through the parade. The class reps for the freshmen were Natalie Stangl and Owen Murdock. For sophomores, Maggie Handfelt and Owen Wells represented their class. Next were juniors, with McKenna Curran and Holden Murdock.

For the senior court, the representatives were Sophia Heisler, Kyle Long, Hanna Skiston, Evan Kruse, who along with Queen Samantha Stoffregen and King Conner Einsweiler all represented their class.

Ending the parade were the sports teams from both the high school and middle school showing their school spirit on their floats. After the parade, the band played at the tailgate party.

Following that, the both the JV and varsity teams played West Carroll and both teams won, the first varsity homecoming victory since 2015.

Ending homecoming week, came the long awaited dance. After the junior class was anounced as the winner of the homecoming week competition, all of the grades were able to put the competition from the week behind them to have a great time.

Everyone got a chance to show off their impressive dance moves with the unique music choices.

According to junior Sami Wasmund, “The music was really good and I had so much fun with my friends, dancing to all the songs!”

This homecoming created lots of memories for all of the classes, but especially the Seniors, as it was their last homecoming at GHS.