Filed under News, Showcase

Convention attendees learn it only takes “just one person”

Back to Article
Back to Article

On October 24, nine Galena High School students, along with FFA advisor, Mrs. Faulkner and chaperone, Mrs. Lawfer, made their way to Indianapolis for National FFA Convention.

The theme for this year’s event was “Just One,” students and advisors were taught the importance of how just one person, or just one movement can make a huge difference.

Throughout the convention, there were many sessions and speakers that stressed this idea of “Just One.”

Keynote speaker Kyle Scheele used the power of comedy to get his message across. By sharing many relatable stories, Scheele was truly able to connect with his audience and show how just one decision had changed his life.

“I felt like he knew his audience really well and used that knowledge to show us the importance of how we treat others,” said Abbey Ehrler ‘21. “He had us all laughing to the point of crying and nobody could stop saying good things about him.”

Other keynote speakers included the 2017-2018 National FFA President Breanna Holbert who spoke about embracing the gap between one another.

She stressed that we can’t let any differences get in between possible friendships or any other opportunities. Instead we should take the differences and shine light on them because our differences can be beneficial to one another.

Once again, the concert this year was a big hit. Country music legend, Garth Brooks entertained the students. Brooks sang some of his hit songs and had the stands singing along. “I felt like he had such an awesome stage presence,” said Abi Deininger ‘21. “Even if you didn’t know the words to some songs, he still made it enjoyable and got everybody involved.”

National FFA Convention isn’t just for your stereotypical “farmers.” There’s a lot to learn in terms of people skills, marketing skills, and other essential skills needed for a bright future.

“This was my first year at National Convention, and it was a lot more fun than I had expected,” said Kristin Hall ‘21. “Between getting to know my classmates and teachers better and seeing all of the blue jackets, I really felt like I was a part of something bigger.”

Overall, National FFA Convention is a place for growing as an individual as well as a group, and is an opportunity to learn from others around the country and what they are doing to improve agriculture and the lives around them.

“I enjoyed returning to National Convention again this year because it’s always interesting to see the constant change in the officer team and the improvements to the event in general,” said Mackenzie Furlong ‘20. “I can’t wait to return next year as a senior, and I hope I can once again learn how to keep making a positive impact on others’ lives.”