GHS saves lives

Morgan McIntyre ‘21 smiles at the camera while giving her blood. “I will for sure be doing this again,” said McIntyre.

On Friday, May 10, the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center came to Galena High School to give students and community member the opportunity to donate blood.

The Galena High School National Honor Society sponsors this event every year. This year there was 50 people that donated. “I was done so fast and I felt fine,” said Morgan McIntyre ‘21. “The next thing I know I was laying on the ground.” In order to donate, the participants had to be at least 16 years old, weigh 110 lbs., and have a photo ID.

“I am very scared of needles, but I am glad that I was able to help save lives”, said McKenna Curran ‘20. Galena High Schoolers were lined up in the gym eagerly waiting for their turn. Prior to donating, they were asked a questionnaire and had a mini physical exam.

The donors were treated with juice, soda, and snacks to help get sugar back in their system. Students were also glad they were able to get out of class for a short period of time.

The turnout of this event was great and there hopes to be as many donors next year as there was this year. “I am proud to say that I saved at least two to three people’s’ lives,” said Sophia Heisler ‘19.