Senior Athlete Highlight of the Week

Jacob Townsend ‘21 is a very involved student at GHS. He plays football, golf, basketball, and baseball. He has been a part of the varsity teams all of high school. Jacob is an OT/TE/DE for the Pirates Football Team. He played baseball his freshman and sophomore year, but didn’t his junior year. He was the golfer number 2 on varsity. He joined his senior year when football was postponed due to COVID-19. Townsend loves all of his sports, but if he had to pick his favorite one, it would be basketball. 

Jacob is a center for the Pirates. He played both JV and varsity basketball his sophomore year. On JV, Townsend had 177 points, 121 rebounds, 11 assists, 12 steals, and 30 blocks. Right after the JV game, he suited up to go play varsity.  Jacob had 13 points and 13 rebounds on varsity his sophomore year. “Playing up on varsity my sophomore year was fun and I was glad to be a part of the team,” he explained. “I was even glad to get in the games and help the Pirates out.”

He has averaged 7.1 points per game with a total of 307 points all together. 291 of those points were his junior year alone, along with 16 varsity points his sophomore year. His free throw percentage is a solid 44% and his field goal percentage is a 38%. “I have grown so much since my freshman year and it has shown,” Jacob said. “Being a part of this team has been fun and I am excited to see what this basketball season will bring.” 

Hoping for a senior basketball season, Jacob has been working during the off season to get better and stronger. “Working out and going to open gyms makes a huge difference, so try to push yourself to get better,” Townsend said. He has been a great addition to all of the sports teams since his freshman year, and he is happy to be a pirate.