Scholarship, Service, Leadership, Character

The+newly+inducted+National+Honor+Society+members+hold+their+yellow+roses+and+NHS+pins+after+the+induction+ceremony.+Students+were+inducted+on+March+14%2C+in+the+GHS+cafeteria.+These+high+achieving+students+showed+characteristics+of+leadership%2C+service%2C+good+character%2C+and+academic+success.+%E2%80%9CAs+a+prior+member%2C+I+am+so+excited+to+have+so+many+new+members+get+inducted+and+I+am+so+proud+of+all+of+them%2C%E2%80%9D+said+member+Julia+Townsend+%E2%80%9823.+

The newly inducted National Honor Society members hold their yellow roses and NHS pins after the induction ceremony. Students were inducted on March 14, in the GHS cafeteria. These high achieving students showed characteristics of leadership, service, good character, and academic success. “As a prior member, I am so excited to have so many new members get inducted and I am so proud of all of them,” said member Julia Townsend ‘23.

On Monday March 15, the Galena High Schools National Honor Society hosted their induction ceremony in the GHS cafeteria. Eighteen new members were inducted into the NHS and joined the former nine members.
The ceremony began with president, Maya Dickerson, welcoming the inductees and their families. They were invited to help themselves to desserts made by the 2021 National Honor Society members.

After that, advisor, Mary Calfee, invited the officers to present the Four Pillars of the National Honor Society: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. President, Maya Dickerson, lit the candle representing truth. Vice president, Maia Kropp, lit the scholarship candle, and following her, Maddy Glasgow, secretary, lit the candle for leadership.

“When joining NHS, there’s a lot of expectations of members to perform their best. Leadership is one of the most essential characteristics that members need to show,” said Glasgow.

Samuel Eaton and Ally Anderson then lit the candles for service and character.

After the Four Pillars were presented, Principal Beth Murphy spoke.
“It’s wonderful to see such a nice number of students who are making a difference not only in our school but in our community as well. As I reflect on the new members’ qualities, I see students who have high aspirations on making themselves and their community a better place for all. Again, congratulations!”

Each member was then invited up to sign their name in the National Honor Society book that contains all the names of the previous member. Seniors Jarrett Basten, Avery Engle, Maggie Furlong, Claire Martensen, Carson Miller, and Jovian Pham signed their names, received a yellow rose and received their National Honor Society pin. Juniors Jillian Kouzmanoff, Jenna Smith, Caleb Soat, and Ayden Wells followed them. Lastly, the inductees from the sophomore class signed their names and received their roses and pins.

The group then repeated after Mrs. Murphy, the Nation Honor Society Pledge to complete their induction.

National Honor Society members have high expectations to follow.
Members need a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher to be considered for membership. They also have to be prominent members of society, whether that refers to being involved in clubs, athletics, or service.
Once members are officially inducted into the National Honor Society, they are required to complete 40 hours of service per year. Many members go above and beyond what is expected of them.

The two members with the most service hours are Maya Dickerson, with 82 hours of service, and Maddy Glasgow, with 60.75 hours.
“This year the NHS Induction Ceremony was a great success! So many of our NHS members helped set up the space, brought in delicious desserts to share, and we had a wonderful turnout of parents. Our NHS Officers did a wonderful job speaking during the Ceremony and assisting with the induction of our new members. I am excited for this new group of NHS students as they clearly have a lot of great qualities that collectively we will use together to make some positive impacts on our school and community!” said Mrs.Calfee. National Honor Society members show a high standard of honesty, responsibility, reliability, and respect. Membership sets students up for life-long success and achievement that will positively impact their futures.