GHS students wear veteran dog tags

For the last three years members of the Galena football team get the opportunity to be involved in honoring the hometown veterans.  The veterans come to the Galena High School to recognize a group of football players who have made an oath to stay away from alcohol, drugs and bad temptations. This year the ceremony was held as part of the Homecoming celebration on Thursday, September 20 in the high school gym.  

This program encourages students to honor the service of those individuals from the Galena Pirate Nation who have made the ultimate sacrifice. “I want to be part of this program because it is a chance to represent my community in a positive way,” said Henry Anderson ‘20.  “This is the second year I have worn dog tags, and I think there is something really cool about recognizing local heroes in this way.

Not all football players are eligible to participate. In order to wear the hero dog tags, students must pledge to be drug and alcohol-free, they must attend a certain number of football practices; and not everyone is chosen. “Being part of this group shows that you are dedicated to your team,” said Sophomore Conor Behr. “I am also representing my community in a positive way. It’s a big honor to be part of this group.”

During the presentation at the high school, Mr. Glasgow informed the student body that wearing dog tags that represent fallen heroes is not something to take lightly.

The community is invited to the 3rd Annual Dog Tag Ceremony honoring WWI hometown heroes. This ceremony will be presented by American Legion Post 193, Jo Daviess County Veteran Organizations and Pirate Nation on October 12, 2018, at 7:00 PM on the Chuck Korte Filed at Galena High School.