GHS Adapting to the New Normal

GHS students get their temperature taken by facility on the first day of school before they walk into the building. Senior Abby Soppe explains, “Getting your temperature taken before you walk into the school doors is something very weird we are experiencing, but something we are slowly getting used to,” said Soppe.

The coronavirus pandemic has created new daily routines for the students. GHS students now have to get their temperature taken before they walk into the building while the facility self certifies themselves at home. Anyone who walks into the building is required to wear a mask at all times. Students are asked to practice social distancing skills while at school as well as out of school. More changes continue to occur like four split up lunch periods, as well as two to a table while eating. 

“Having to wear face masks and social distance at school is different from previous years but something I am now applying in my everyday life,” said Ayden Wells ‘23. “Most fall activities, sports, and homecoming were all postponed, that’s a big change I’m adapting to while I’m used to supporting my friends at games and dressing up in the student section,” said Wells.

The teachers have gotten used to new schooling techniques, for example they have many students online for classes due to either quaratining or learning online. The teachers have to create online meetings in order to teach the kids which is a big change from previous years. 

While adjusting to the new normal, students have found learning to be harder than previous years. For example students have to normalize being in school some days, and other days learning at home. Students are constantly being sent home due to having to quarantine from family members or students. Learning at home can be hard for some students while they have to keep their focus at home and learn from a computer screen.

“Having to quarantine isn’t the most ideal situation as I dislike having to leave all my friends, while the actual schooling online isn’t too different than in person,” said Kate Moran ‘21. “The teachers are teaching all students whether it’s online or in person at the same time, while they keep the students very engaged making it easy to learn,” explained Moran. 

“I think that learning on the computer due to COVID 19 is harder because I learn better in person,” said Maia Kropp ‘23. “I feel that I get a better experience in person and I am able to ask questions and understand what I’m learning better. Learning on a computer is hard because you have to have your eyes glued to a screen all day, this affects me negatively because I’m already on a screen all day, and with being on a computer for school it makes it worse.”

Even though these mandates feel restrictive and make school feel tough teachers and students are finding the positives out of these weird situations. 

I am trying to live in the moment,” said Mrs. Bookless. “In my Sports literature class we are reading Sacred Hoops and the takeaway from our chapters today was that what muddies our minds is the desire to get life to conform to our particular notion of how things should be, instead of how they really are. Our desperate need to cling to the idea of what we want and our resistance to what’s actually happening is what causes us to be uncomfortable, we need to live in the moment.”

“Although these times are very tough for everyone, I have been able to spend more quality time with my family,” said Allison Garcia ‘21. “Having to quarantine with my family allows me to create strong bonds with them before I leave for college.”