The Spyglass

The student news site of Galena High School.

The Spyglass

The Spyglass

Academic Challenge Accepted: GHS Wins First Place at Regional

On February 6, the Academic Challenge team competed at Highland Community College in a variety of academic categories ranging from English to Computer Engineering Graphics. The team’s scores earned them first place in the regional. 

Each student who entered the competition sat for two 40 minute test sessions. “I felt a little rushed taking my tests,” said Conner Soat ‘25. “I was able to finish, but I know that some other people struggled to get their tests completed in the time limit.”

After testing, students had lunch and then were given a tour of the campus. “Macy and I were pretty entertained by the geese on our tour,” said Evelyn Callahan ‘25. “It was cool to see all the options available at Highland. I was really impressed with the space for nursing students.”

At the end of the day, students learned their scores. Galena came out big in both individual and overall wins. 

Seniors Jakob Schmidt and Abby Ehrler tied for 3rd place in Physics. Matthew Schilling and Addie Hefel tied for 2nd in Math.

Brady Turner ‘25 placed in both Computer Science and Engineering Graphics. Sophomore Gus Nack placed first in Math and second in Chemistry. 

“This was my first year doing this and honestly I didn’t really know what to expect,” said Nack. “I was surprised but also proud of my wins and I hope to get the same opportunity next year.” 

Galena will advance to the sectional competition in DeKalb on March 7.