GHS becomes a paperless school

%0A+

Juggling textbooks, with stacks of folders and notebooks threatening to fall out their arms, students hands are overflowing. However the move to 1:1, laptops have replaced these overbearing loads. Classrooms are no longer filled with the the scratching of pencils, but the clicks of a keyboard. Eliminating notebooks and textbooks, students have entered the classroom in August 2016 with an upgrade.

With a move to 1:1 systems, the Galena school district is aiming to become paperless. Upgrading to 21st century standards has become a work in progress for the district.

Principal Beth Murphy views the move to 1:1 systems as a current and future success. “We have had a slow start. It certainly has not been perfect, but we are building the plane as we are flying it,” said Murphy.

Pushing the school systems toward 1:1 operations began during former superintendent Dr. Sharon Old’s administration. Pilot programs were originally intended for a single high school class, but instead were organized for the middle school.

Success in early pilot programs encouraged the school district to consider going 1:1. And, by the start of the 2016-17 school year 1:1 systems were put in place.  

Following neighboring school districts such as River Ridge and Eastland, the Galena school district embraced the 1:1 initiative. “It is important that students have tools to use. You need it. It is a necessary tool in life,” said Murphy.

Classrooms are progressing with the use of computers. “I love having them available. We are trying new approaches because of their availability,” said teacher Linda Howard.  

In a high school over 50 years old however, technological complications have become common. Empty batteries, and inconvenient updates have created many issues. “There have been limitations. It has been a slow process as more technology has been added, but we are able to function. We must be creative to create solutions,” said Murphy.  

1:1 systems offer expanded possibilities for students. “I didn’t like the idea of it at first,” said junior Lillie Anderson, “but it ended up being really helpful for doing assignments at home.”

Increasing the possibility of our classrooms and options available to learn is a main objective. Going 1:1 has placed a laptop in the hands of every student in the Galena school district. “I do want it to continue. It is a wonderful benefit and perk to our students. I hope kids can see the purpose beyond being able to play more games,” said Murphy.

By Lisi Ludwig