Impressive girls golf team embraces change throughout the season

The Galena Girls Golf program underwent many changes this year. The varsity team said goodbye to five of their six varsity golfers from the previous season.

New Galena Girls Golf coach, Sarah Nack, knew that there was work to do because half the team was made up of incoming freshman. It was hard to believe that the team would still be a force after losing some of their best players, however the girl’s performance declared otherwise.

Looking for a new leader, lone senior, Abby Moyer stepped up to the tee. Moyer rose from her previous Varsity 4 spot to take over as Varsity 1.

The team was also made up of returning juniors Erin Hilby, Olivia Kropp, and sophomore Gracie Lange. Some new additions to the varsity squad were freshman Grace Hillard and Ava Miller. “It was such an amazing opportunity to be a part of this team as a freshman. It was a little overwhelming at first, but I became really close friends with the other girls, and I wouldn’t give it up for the world,” said Hillard ‘22.

The varsity girls golf team had a phenomenal season with a record of 5-1 conference and 5-3 non-conference.

“The varsity team worked hard all season long. The girls were always at practice and ready to work. . .even on Fridays,” said Coach Sarah Nack. This team was such a pleasure to coach and work with. The team was very good about stepping up for each other if anyone else had a bad round. Next year, I am hoping they can each cut some strokes off their scores to get them to be in contention for conference champs!”

In the postseason, the golf team competed in the conference tournament, where they placed third at Pecatonica.

The next meet was the Regional Tournament at Lena, where the team took sixth place. Moyer led the team with a 97 followed by Hilby with a score of 114.

Sadly, this was the end of the varsity season as a team, however, Abby Moyer advanced as an individual to sectionals in Freeport. The team followed Moyer and cheered her on. Moyer shot a score of 100 at the tournament.

“Playing at the sectional tournament was very stressful. I wanted to do well, but I knew a lot of talented golfers would be there playing against me,” said Moyer ‘19. “It felt great seeing my teammates drive down to follow me play. Even those who couldn’t make it were wishing me good luck.”

Moyer has had a very successful year. Her hole average of 47 was by far the best on the team. At every meet Moyer received either medalist or runner-up which is a great achievement.

At the conference tournament, Moyer placed sixth individually which earned her the title of NUIC All-Conference. At the regional tournament, Moyer placed fifth individually. This resulted in her advancing to the sectional tournament for the second time in her golf career.

“Abby has worked hard all season long to improve her scores. She consistently shot in the 40s this year during our matches, placing her at the top of the leader board throughout the season,” said Coach Sarah Nack. “Abby’s smooth swing keeps her ball in play and out of trouble. She has great control and tempo which are both important in golf. I will miss having Abby on the team, as will all the players who looked up to her as a leader.”

One experience Moyer valued this year was the opportunity to work with underclassmen. “I just wanted to show the younger girls on the team that it is possible to go far in golf and people should give the sport a try,” she said.

“I am excited for the promising upcoming freshman joining the golf team. I have had the upcoming freshman in my junior golf program for years and I know how talented they are and what they can contribute to the team next year,” said Coach Sarah Nack. “I am hoping all the girls play a lot of golf this upcoming spring and summer to improve their skills, and that we are able to kick off the season in August with a win!”