Filed under News, Showcase

Force to be reckoned with

Back to Article
Back to Article

Force to be reckoned with

The Galena scholastic bowl team had two meets this week. They competed against the River Ridge Wildcats and the East Dubuque Warriors. The best word to describe their two meets is complete domination.

The team faced River Ridge on Feb. 4. The Pirates undoubtedly crushed the Wildcats. The score of the first match was 420-80. In the second match, the Pirates showed no mercy. The score of the second match was 440-10.

The top scorer of the varsity team was Junior Sophia Getz. Getz correctly answered 12 of the 44 toss-ups she heard.  

The junior varsity team also did not break a sweat while competing against the Wildcats. The score of the first match was 510-110. The score of the second match was 400-130. River Ridge’s four scores combined totals less than the lowest Galena score.

Sophomore Zack Ehler was the lead scorer of the JV team. Ehler correctly answered 12 of the 48 toss-ups he heard.

There’s wasn’t much competition in the meet against River Ridge, but even then, everyone came out and did well,” said Ehler. “It was a team effort and everyone had a part in the victory.”

The meet on Feb 6. was against the East Dubuque Warriors. Continuing the winning streak, the varsity team demolished the Warriors. The score of the first match was 340-110. The score of the second match was 380-200. The Warriors put up more of a fight against the Pirates compared to the Wildcats, but they still didn’t stand a chance.

The player on the varsity team who scored the most points was Senior Evelyn Larson. Larson correctly answered 13 of the 45 toss-ups she heard. Larson is the player with the highest average of correctly answered questions for this season’s varsity team.

“This week, the scholastic bowl team destroyed River Ridge and East Dubuque, which is a good omen for the rest of the season,” said Larson. “We’ve made a great record this year so far, and we know that will continue!”

Following in the varsity team’s footsteps, the jv team did not disappoint at the meet either. The team took care of business the first match winning with a score of 540-260. The second match the Warriors kicked it up a notch, but were still no match in the end. The final score of the second match was 430-330.

The top scorer of the JV team for this meet was Sophomore Clay Folks. Folks correctly answered 10 of the 48 toss-ups he heard. Folks also has the highest average of correctly answered questions for the season so far on the JV team.

The JV team will travel to Lena Winslow on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Senior Night for the Scholastic Bowl Pirates will be held on Thursday, Feb. 14 in the GHS library. The teams will face Stockton.