The Spyglass

The student news site of Galena High School.

The Spyglass

The Spyglass

Galena Rotary Recognizes Student of the Quarter

Xela Weber

The Rotary Student of the Quarter was Xela Weber ‘26. This award is given to students who are under-appreciated in their hard work in academics and dedication to themselves. Xela is a very dedicated student and her character and intelligence is often overlooked. 

Mrs. Streich stated, “This is Xela’s first year with me in choir and she has shown so much initiative in this first semester. She has started up voice lessons after school as well to continue growing as a musician and singer. I am so glad that she joined choir this year and am looking forward to seeing her grow into junior and senior year.” Xela’s commitment shows the time and effort she puts into activities that are important to her. 

In school, Xela radiates positivity to her classmates and her teachers. Mrs. Calfee said “Xela is a wonderful addition to our math class!  She is always positive and a wonderful classmate and student.  She sets a wonderful example for others in that she always gives her best effort and doesn’t give up. She is a pleasure to have in class!” 

Ms. Friederick commented, “I am fortunate to have Xela in Foods class this semester, I look forward to seeing her in each class!  She is the type of student every teacher loves to have in class.  She comes into class with a smile on her face and a great attitude! She loves to cook and it shows while she is in the kitchen lab.  She is kind to EVERYONE!!  She is an absolute delight!  Keep up the great work!” Xela is a great example of an attentive student, and always comes to school with a smile on her face. Xela has even left a mark on teachers she doesn’t have. Mrs. T and Mrs. Rosenthal have commented they constantly see laughing in the hallways and being kind to her fellow peers. 

Outside of her academics, Xela is involved in drama club and choir. If you want to see her shine in on stage, come see her in Mamma Mia as Lisa, one of Sophie’s friends. Her favorite class is Foods and her favorite teacher is her Choir teacher, Ms. Streich.  She loves to sing, songwrite and hangout with her friends outside of school.  In the future she would love a career that focuses on music.