Spring Sports are Here

Varsity+boys+line+up+on+the+field+against+EPC.++Boys+took+the+win+on+Saturday+night+with+a+final+score+of+28-6.+The+boys+were+expected+to+lose+this+game+and+blew+the+crowd+over+with+a+phenomenal+ending+score.+

Varsity boys line up on the field against EPC. Boys took the win on Saturday night with a final score of 28-6. The boys were expected to lose this game and blew the crowd over with a phenomenal ending score.

As spring approaches students start to look forward to many things. As the snow starts melting, birds start chirping and flowers start blooming, summer is right around the corner! The snow melting means more than just summer approaching, spring sports starting up!

The spring sports are going to look different to previous years. Traditionally fall sports, volleyball and football will be considered spring sports this year, and track, soccer, baseball and softball will be considered summer sports. 

There are going to be many changes this year for spring sports. Besides the fact that they are in the spring, the GHS sports program has to meet the COVID-19 guidelines for Illinois. 

The first home volleyball game will be held on Tuesday, March 23. New restrictions for players include having to wear a mask at all times while on the court. Players are also allowed only two tickets per person, while they can only be family members. This will limit the capacity of people in the gym. Students are also not allowed to watch the game in the gym, students have to live steam the game at home. 

“I’m most excited to be back playing with my friends,” said senior Corrina Noble, who didn’t play volleyball last year. “We always have so much fun on the court and I can’t wait to see what this season brings!”

As football season approaches the big unknown is what field the players will be playing on. The GHS football field is not on tip top playing format. The field is soggy from the spring thaw and there are many holes that could prove to be dangerous for GHS athletes. When exploring options, GHS looked to Hazel Green and the newly constructed turf stadium at Southwestern High School. This field would provide a safer place for students to play and for spectators to cheer on the Pirates. The spectator capacity at Southwestern is 500 people. The first game at Southwestern will be held on Saturday, March 26 at 10:00 AM.

“I am most excited to play in front of a larger number of fans,” said senior football player, Jacob Townsend. “I am excited to hear people cheer us on, but I am most excited for a successful season with my team!”

According to the guidelines released on March 22, the following general information was released to the public.  

•  All spectators entering the game will be required to have a ticket. Tickets will be sold for $5 (for all ages). Tickets will be on sale in the Galena High School office. Details on when tickets can be purchased are listed below. When purchasing tickets, please have exact change or a check to Galena High School. There will be no tickets sold at the gate.  
  • Masks are required to be worn over mouth and nose for all spectators aged two and older.  
  • Social distancing is required at all times both in the bleachers and around the track. Families may sit together but should maintain 6 feet between groups.  
  • Children below 9th grade should be seated with an adult. There will be no horseplay or running around the facility.  
  • The Southwestern Booster Club will run a concession stand  Spectators should exit the facility as soon as the game is finished.  
  • Home games will be streamed live on the Pirate Stream YouTube channel. 

The volleyball and football season are going to look similar from previous years based on schedule wise. Both sports, volleyball and football have practice every day after school. While weekends may vary, athletes put in many hours of practice weekly to prepare for their games. Typically games start after the first few weeks of practices and open gyms. Volleyball players usually have around two to three games a week, while football players have a game every Saturday. The varsity boys play every Saturday while the JV boys play Monday nights. Their season started at the beginning of March lasting through the end of April.