Shooting for Greatness

Linefelser+and+Heller+pose+with+their+individual+first+place+medals+and+their+first+place+team+trophy.+%E2%80%9DAfter+all+my+hard+work+it+feels+so+good+to+come+out+on+top%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Linenfelser.+

Linefelser and Heller pose with their individual first place medals and their first place team trophy. ”After all my hard work it feels so good to come out on top,” said Linenfelser.

This year two GHS trapshooting team members have really been standing out. Kiera Linenfelser ‘24 and Johnny Heller ‘25 have both achieved some big trapshooting goals.  

Linefelser won the female portion of the Illinois Trapshooting conference and placed 9th overall in the female division in the state. Linefelser’s season average was a 21.40. “I am so excited about winning conference, I spent a lot of time at the gun club until I was happy with my scores,” she said.

Heller won the male portion of Galena’s trap shooting conference and tied for 38th in the state for both the male and female divisions.Heller’s season average came to a 22.40. “It felt great to win at something I love to do,” he said. 

The two GHS students were rewarded for their accomplishments as the 11/14 Pirate Competitors of the Week. Both students were also awarded with a first-place medal from the Illinois State High School Clay Target League.

The GHS trap shooting team has become popular among the student body since being introduced four years ago. Trapshooting is a form of clay shooting. It is a sport of reaction, timing, movement, and accuracy. Participants shoot at and aim to break a 4 ¼ inch disc flying through the air at about 42 mph. These discs mirror the flight path of a bird getting away from a hunter. The team travels to meets held in gun clubs and goes up against students from various schools